At the least 149 lifeless and 150 others injured in a stampede throughout Halloween festivities within the South Korean capital.
At the least 149 individuals have been killed in a stampede as Halloween celebrations have been underway on a slim road in South Korea’s capital, Seoul, authorities mentioned.
At the least 150 different individuals have been injured within the crush of crowds in Itaewon District, Yongsan Fireplace Chief Choi Seong-beom mentioned throughout a briefing on the scene.
The dying toll may rise, Choi mentioned, as rescuers continued their rescue efforts in a single day.
Here is what it is advisable know:
- At round 10:20 p.m. (1320 GMT) on Saturday, an enormous crowd celebrating Halloween packed right into a slim alley within the Itaewon leisure district.
- Many victims have been trampled as a big crowd superior, Choi mentioned. Most of the injured have been in severe situation and have been receiving emergency therapy.
- Greater than 400 rescue staff and 140 rescue autos have been deployed to deal with the injured, mentioned Choi Cheon-sik, an official with the Nationwide Fireplace Company.
- Police confirmed that dozens of individuals obtained cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on the streets, whereas others have been taken to close by hospitals.
Many killed, injured
- At the least 149 individuals have been killed and 150 others have been injured within the incident, and authorities mentioned the dying toll may rise additional as emergency crews proceed their rescue efforts.
- “The world remains to be chaotic, so we’re nonetheless attempting to find out the precise variety of injured individuals,” mentioned Moon Hyun-joo, an official with the Nationwide Fireplace Company.
- Choi Seong-beom mentioned the our bodies of 74 victims have been despatched to hospitals and the our bodies of some 46 have been positioned in a makeshift morgue at a close-by gymnasium.
- “Individuals have been layered on high of one another like a grave. Some have been regularly dropping consciousness whereas others appeared lifeless on the time,” Yonhap Information Company quoted a witness as saying.
- Officers had earlier mentioned 50 individuals have been in cardiac arrest and greater than 140 ambulances had been dispatched to the scene to assist the victims.
FLASH: A large stampede occurred in South Korea throughout a Halloween parade. At the least 120 individuals died. Watch dozens of individuals receiving CPR on the road:pic.twitter.com/NsJ0jFzKSb
—Steve Hanke (@steve_hanke) October 29, 2022
- Al Jazeera’s Musun Kim, reporting from Seoul, mentioned many individuals within the metropolis would keep up all night time “with a way of shock, questioning how this might have occurred”.
- South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol known as on authorities to make sure immediate therapy of the injured and to evaluate the safety of get together venues.
- The Seoul Metropolitan Authorities issued emergency textual content messages, urging residents within the space to return house shortly.
- A number of movies posted on social media appeared to indicate individuals performing CPR on victims mendacity on the street. Different movies appeared to indicate dozens of individuals lined in blue plastic sheeting by the facet of the highway.
- British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak known as the “horrible” incident. “Our hearts exit to these at present responding and to all South Koreans at this very distressing time,” he wrote on Twitter.